Keeping sink traps clean is an easy task that any homeowner can do without help from a plumbing professional. By adhering to a sink trap cleaning routine, you’ll be able to prevent against unnecessary drain clogs in your home.
Five Tips for Keeping Kitchen Sink Traps Clean
The best way to prevent against clogged drains in your kitchen is by scheduling a routine plumbing inspection with your local professional. However, there are many other ways in which homeowners can protect against clogs caused by unclean sink traps, including:
- Refrain from sending cooking grease, fats, oils, and food waste down the drain.
- Avoid using harmful, store-bought drain cleaning agents as they can harm your pipes and the environment.
- Lift your sink trap and check for debris, emptying any drain-damaging materials into the trash.
- Be sure to run water through your pipes at least once per week, especially in infrequently used areas of the home. This will help prevent against sewer smells and keep your drains clean.
- Use all-natural drain cleaning products, such as Bio Ben, on a regular basis. We recommend Bio Ben for its organic bacteria that eats away sludge and waste that hides in your drain lining. Pour it down the drain weekly or monthly to keep debris build-up at bay.
With these five tips by your side, you’ll be able to keep your sink traps clean and clear of unwanted debris so you can avoid a drain clog from interrupting your daily life.
What Happens When Sink Traps Aren’t Cleaned?
The obvious answer is that an uncleaned sink trap will inevitably cause a drain clog in your home. However, there are more severe consequences that can arise when sink traps are left to their own devices. For example, if traps aren’t cleaned thoroughly at least once every three months, you can run the risk of your drains becoming so clogged that you experience a backup. Prevent against unnecessary plumbing repairs by keeping up with your sink trap maintenance and ensuring your drains remain clean.
Four Signs Your Sink Trap Needs Cleaning
There are several signs that can indicate it’s time for you to clean your sink traps. Watch out for the following to ensure you’re keeping up with your sink trap cleaning needs:
- Slow draining in your kitchen sink
- Water backing up in sinks
- Foul odors emanating from your drains or pipes
- You’ve used excessive amounts of liquid drain cleaner in the recent past
If you’ve noticed the signs of needed sink trap cleaning in your home, be sure to take care of the issue before it escalates. When the problem has gone on for too long and the DIY tricks don’t work, don’t hesitate to contact Ben Franklin Plumbing to remedy the issue!
Contact Ben Franklin Plumbing for Plumbing Service Today
Keeping kitchen sink traps clean is easy, but there are times when even the cleanest traps result in a plumbing problem. If this is the case with your home’s plumbing system, schedule service with Ben Franklin Plumbing today.
Our team will be happy to help clear your system and ensure proper plumbing performance in your home.