Clogged drains are a nightmare but can be easily prevented. They happen at the worst possible time and are a headache to deal with. You will need to take time off work and pay for a plumber to come to unclog the drain. All this could have been prevented by maintaining your sink trap. Side note…if you do experience a clog we highly recommend that you not try to take apart your P-Trap. DIYers who do this most likely will never be able to reassemble it correctly, causing it to leak.
The best way to keep your sink trap clean is to have a professional plumber inspect your plumbing annually. Many plumbing companies offer annual maintenance plans. Between annual inspections, here are 5 things you can do yourself to make sure your sink trap stays clean.
- Avoid throwing anything down that drain that could be an obstruction. Cooking grease, fats and oils can become severe issues over time.
- Avoid store-bought drain cleaning products. They’re very harmful to your pipes and environment.
- Lift the sink or shower stopper and check for any debris in the pipe. If someone with long hair lives in the home, check this often.
- Run water through your pipes at least once a week, especially in areas of the house that you don’t frequently use, to prevent sewer gases or smells, and to keep the drain clean.
- Use an all-natural drain maintenance product like Bio Ben on a regular basis. Bio Ben’s naturally organic bacteria has tiny-sludge hungry organisms which eat away at the waste and gunk in your drain lining. You can pour it down the drain weekly or monthly to help eliminate the build-up of grease, fats and oil. It keeps your system free flowing without any clogs.
If you aren’t comfortable dealing with your sink trap yourself, give Benjamin Franklin Plumbing a call at 813-676-9046. The punctual plumbers will get out to your home on time, and make sure your drains are clean and flowing.